Sr. Data Scientist. Berlin, Germany
The Data Science team at OLX is responsible for building algorithmic solutions to facilitate transactions between buyers and sellers. We are developing personalization technologies and optimization strategies that have a direct impact on OLX’s users as well as the company's bottom line. You will be expected to research state-of-the-art machine learning, in the areas of user segmentation, image metadata extraction (including multilabel classification and tagging with deep learning), semi-supervised learning, and more. You will apply these methods to core OLX product platforms deployed in the cloud that are affecting the user experience for millions of visitors per month. You will roll your solutions to production, analyze results offline and online, and measure site impact.
What you will be doing:
- Traditionally Classifieds websites allow sellers to describe the objects they are posting with some category specific drop down options and a free text box. To enable a more frictionless posting process and to normalize and compare inventory globally OLX wants to automate as much as possible based on the image alone. Some features we would like to offer:
- When taking a picture of your used car the app will already predict brand, model, color, etc.
- The app will generate a meaningful title automatically and predict a reasonable price
- Another important area we are aiming to further extend is identification of users that should be targeted for communication. This includes models for predicting the customer lifecycle value, as well as deciding which users to target with promotion campaigns and at what point in time.
- Your responsibility will be to lead such projects globally from the data science side
- Work on optimizing as the models according to the requirements of the specific use case and collaborate with other team members to bring in production and scale machine learning solutions.
- Measure the impact of your models on key metrics of the company.
- Collaborate across the Data Science community and within the Relevance team to find technical solutions to complex design problems.
- Work in an agile environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules.
Who we’re looking for:
- You are a highly driven, results-oriented, creative problem solver with a hands on approach to deliver business impact quickly.
- You are excited by the opportunity to directly impact the daily experience and happiness of millions of people around the world by matching supply and demand.
- You have a strong understanding of machine learning techniques and have applied them to solve optimization problems using machine learning libraries such as scikit-learn, scipy, etc.
- You have a strong engineering background working with at least one programming language (Python, Java)
- Experience with Tensorflow or MXNET for image classification
- Experience bringing models in production, including autoscaling, setting monitoring (e.g., Grafana) and alert notifications (e.g., New Relic), etc.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluent in English.
Nice to have:
- Experience with other deep learning frameworks such as Caffe, Torch, Keras, Theano
- Industry experience productionizing machine learning algorithms at scale (e.g., production use of AWS Athena, AWS Sagemaker, AWS Spectrum, AWS Kinesis) or the GCP equivalent.
- Experience building large-scale batch and real-time data pipelines with open source data processing frameworks like Scalding, Storm, Spark.
- Experience with platforms for programmatically authoring, scheduling and monitoring workflows (e.g. Apache Airflow).
What you get from us:
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Contributing to the global OLX Group
- Work with an international team of top engineers learning from one another
- Competitive salary and great benefits
- Company Mobile phone
- Any tool you might need MacBook Pro, Notebook, PC
- Great office location around the corner from Berlin Hauptbahnhof
What you need to know about us:
- We’re a global product and tech group. 17 brands. 40 countries. 4000 people. One mindset.
- Our mission is to make it easier for people to buy and sell almost anything, promoting prosperity in local communities.
- We are proud to be different, and we work differently too. We combine the spirit and agility of a start-up with the maturity that comes from being part of a 100 year-old company.
- We are curious, ambitious and allergic to corporate interference. We improvise, experiment and push each other further, embracing uncertainty and driving change.
If you want to join us, apply here. If you’d like to learn more about the OLX Group take a look here. And remember, we are an equal opportunities employer.